According to WHO each year 800,000 people around the world die from suicide. There can be various reasons why people choose to end their lives. Life struggles and harsh realities are true, but it all comes down to how strong are we emotionally. Bad mental health is real but by getting better at dealing with our emotions, we may be able to prevent or at the least make a significant difference in our social circle because we might not see it but people around us are suffering emotionally.
We have two brains, feelings brains and thinking brain
(taken from Mark Manson’ book)
Self-control helps you with separating the thoughts that may come from your feeling and thinking brain. Feelings or emotions have a lot if not everything to do with suicide. Facts don’t care about feelings. If we let our lives be controlled by our thinking brain, we may be better off. Because once feelings take control of our lives, we make one of the worse decisions because feelings are inconsistent and momentarily whereas facts remain unchanged.
If you run from your lives circumstances and end your life, here is what I have to say to you “Those who stay on the ground and defend their wicket are remembered, and those who go back to the pavilion are forgotten” Ending your life will not help your circumstances but staying alive allows you to fight in the face of your obstacles.
Below are some bitter but practical things to consider if you are going through a tough time emotionally and mentally.
1. Do not let success, failure, encouragement, discouragement, acknowledgment, admiration, being ignored, get to your head.
• 2. When we no longer care about being accepted and acknowledged by others, that is when others discouragement or words of admiration become irrelevant and ineffective, because if we are leaning on others’ encouragement then we might become accustomed to it and also overtime arrogance and complacency will breed inside us. If we are listening to others discouragement then we might just end giving up. Relying not on yourself but others for whatever reasons, is fatal in any case.
• 3. Your success will not last forever, you will not remain a failure for the rest of your life, you will not be respected for the rest of your life, you will not be despised for the rest of your life. There will be times where you will feel at the top of the world, also there will be times where no one sees you. Our obsession with only wanting the highs in life and somehow escaping the lows has made us so fragile that a failure, not being acknowledged, not being seen, not being able to get what we want makes us depressed to the point where we decide life is not worth living.
4. A person worth cannot be defined by his or her successes or failures, because these are momentary events that are never consistent. Life itself changes and will keep on changing, never constant. HIGHS AND LOWS are part of it.
5. If you want to sustain your success, you will do it by working every day and not letting someone else acknowledgment get to your head. One should not become complacent by the encouragement and praise that he/she gets for being successful.
6. If you are facing failures in life but are still moving forward, despite the odds and others discouragement, this means you know I am doing it for myself, not for others. The feedback coming from others is insignificant.
Life is about persistence.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in the article are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect Dunya News’ editorial stance.